RunnersWorld has a great email feature that sends you daily quotes or "kicks in the butt" to help motivate you and keep you going (you can sign up for them on their website for free, I think). There have been two recently that really stuck with me that I want to share:
From a day or two ago:
"Consistency requires discipline. Force yourself out the door."
-Bob Glover and Shelly-Lynn Florence Glover, The Competitive Runner's Handbook
I'm trying to figure out a way for that to be my alarm on my phone in the mornings.
And then this one I actually tacked up in my cubicle wall after the Chicago Marathon when I was pissed at myself for the near-bonk and overall poor performance. It really helped me take away the key learning points from that marathon.
"Recognize your victories."
-Joan Benoit Samuelson
So today, as my attempt to recognize my victories, small as they may be, my Single Serving of Awesome is that I got up and ran my 6 miles before work today. Doesn't sound like much but I've been really struggling with getting up early in the morning this winter so I consider this a minor miracle. And I also managed to integrate a little speedwork with some 400-800 pickups along the way. No neckbreaking speed but I'm hoping it'll help me get back to where I was.
Today's reason why Josh is the BBFE: he got up while I was running and made me a smoothie :-). Love him!
