Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Grad school mayhem

So I'm excited to say that I'm officially done with my grad school (MBA) apps! Harvard was the last of the six and I submitted it on Sunday (two days before the deadline - woot!). It has been a long road of GMAT studying and taking and retaking, essay writing and rewriting and application filling and refilling. I really wish MBA programs would go to a Common App. Isn't business school supposed to teach you about efficiency? Well why not make the process more efficient with a Common App? Sigh. The one thing I am really proud of is the first of the four slides I had to submit for U of Chicago Booth on "what else would I like my future classmates to know about me that isn't already in my application." I drew cartoons and I'm pretty doggone proud of them :-). I'm going to upload them as a separate posting.

Anyway, after all my months of moaning and groaning about wanting to just be able to relax, I've managed to finish up grad school stuff just in time to really hit the gas on marathon training. That's right, boys and girls, the Boston Marathon training season is upon us and if you drive down Comm Ave past BC on a Sunday morning, you'll see all the tights-rocking, running jacket-wearing crazies like me trudging through the snow to get their time in on the most notorious section of the marathon course. I am running with a few friends this go-round, which should help my ability to stay motivated and push my training. They're doing Hal Higdon's Intermediate II, which has double long runs on the weekends. I've never done this before but I really think it will help me in the long run (see what I did there?), as long as I don't get injured (again). My ankle is still bothering me a pretty decent amount and on my last two shorter runs, my arches have been KILLING me. Not a good sign but like an idiot, I'm again hoping that I can just push through and I'll be ok. Maybe I should actually get those orthotics my ortho recommended. Hm.

Today's Single Serving of Awesome is that the flowers Josh got me as a surprise last week are still looking amazing and they make me happy. We're also supposed to be buying our first slow cooker tonight. This is all very exciting! :-)